Friday, March 30, 2007

Reverend Cladeedah

So my friend Rex is getting married and he asked me to officiate. Which is totally random, considering: 1) I'm not very articulate; 2) I'm not a minister; and 3) we used to make out.

He said it was because I was "officious." I thought that was a compliment, until I looked it up and found out what it really means. I guess I am "officious," but that doesn't seem like a good reason to ask someone to officiate a marriage.

At first I said no. I'm far too shy. But after thinking about it a while, I realized this may be one of those once-in-a-lifetime-type of opportunities that I probably shouldn't pass up. So, for now, I'm doing it.

He said I can't talk about religion or about undying love. Hmmm... makes the marriage ceremony material pretty scarce then, I'd say. Any ideas? Movie monologues?? Anything???

5 comments:

Allison and the Angry Inch said...

tell them to pick out some poems, or song lyrics, or something, to read. you should also check out the forums at indiebride.com. those chicks have all kinds of ideas on non-traditional weddings.

Anonymous said...

talk about having kids, and choosing names for the kids, and the different methods for picking those names. like, say, a baby bracket. and talk about how everyone can play, but the brackets are due tomorrow, so get on it, especially if last year's winner wants to make a repeat run at the title. and talk about how the grandmum is totally talking smack and talking about how she is going to take the title. yes. talk about all that.

Cladeedah said...

Dude, where's my prize from last year? Does grandmum know there's no prize?

Shannon said...

Talk about the war in Iraq. That should get the crowd warmed up.

Seriously though, I like Allison's idea of a poem. Also, I once attended a ceremony where the officiant spoke about the reasons why the two people should get married- who they were, why they're so great together, etc. Dunno- why is he getting married?

Miss Huang said...

yay, you should me marry me and Chris when we decide to get married. He actually is a minister (ordained online) so he can marry us, but I don't think it works like that...