Thursday, October 19, 2006

Animal ER

We got home around 11pm last night. I could tell something was wrong when I opened the front door. The place was oddly quiet. I didn't realize until later that it was because Moka, my baby kitty, wasn't there to greet me like he usually is. A short time later, Brian noticed Moka wasn't himself. He refused to get up. He was really quiet, except for a small, pained meow here and there. (He's usually super-chatty.) So at 11:30pm, we took him to the animal ER.

Turns out his urethra was blocked, and he needed an immediate procedure or else his bladder could burst or his kidneys could fail, and he could die. So he got it done overnight. This morning Brian took him to the regular vet. They say he needs to stay hospitalized for about 2 days.

Last night's animal ER bill: $922. Nevernmind what's coming from the regular vet.

((SIGH))

5 comments:

Shawna said...

not good. Poor Moka, must have been miserable! What causes that?

Bradley said...

Holy smokes, $922! you must REALLY love your cat. It's inhumane to spend that much on an animal.

how old is your cat btw?

Shannon said...

Eeeh Gads! That sounds so painful! My friend's cat had a Urethra that kept gettng blocked and they had to cut off his penis...

Cladeedah said...

Thanks Ally. :-)

Shawna - the vet says it just happens in some cats - crystals or mucuous build up and block the bladder. Sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it's their cat food. I feed him science diet, which is the best stuff available, so I don't know... Now I have to give him this special low-ash science diet cat food.

Bradley - He's 8. And I would kill you in a heartbeat to save him if it ever came down to it. We're kindred spirits.

Shannon - wow, you certainly know how to cheer a girl up!

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

i know how expensive vet bills can be. I had to spend over $600 on multiple vet visits when my dog had a scratched cornea. they wanted to do some experimental surg on her too for over $1500 but with a second opinion and another $100 dollars later, she was fine. I feel your pocketbook pain!