Monday, November 13, 2006

Trying so hard not to go back to sleep...

This jet lag is really kicking my butt. I did so well with it when we got to Japan. I didn't sleep the night before we left, just because I still had so much stuff to do and because I was so excited about going. When we got there, I was super-tired, but was so amped to be there, I had no desire to sleep. So then when it finally came time to go to bed there, I was good to go. I slept through every night without a problem and woke up by 5:30 or 6am every morning.

Coming back is WAY harder. The first two nights back, I couldn't get to sleep before 2am. And I was so tired the next morning, it was hard getting up before 1:30pm.

Last night, I was finally able to go to bed at 10:30pm. I was so happy when I woke up because I thought I'd managed to sleep through the night. Turns out, it was only 2am. So I layed in bed awake for at least an hour, hoping to doze off. This morning, I forced myself out of bed at 9am, but it was rough. Now I'm dragging... fighting the urge to go back to bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it also has a lot to do with "going forward in time" vs. "going backward." It's nice to arrive in Japan later in the afternoon, then get to sleep at a reasonable hour. But to fly out of Tokyo at 5 p.m., only to arrive on the same day, some 8 hours earlier...not easy. haha. What airline did you take?

Shannon said...

I had to go back to work this morning...and couldn't fall asleep until 2am. I feel your pain.

B.J., we took Korean Air.

Anonymous said...

WATER WATER WATER! Passengers ask us flight attendants all the time what they can do to avoid jet lag. The number one fighter is stay hydrated. The second, force yourself into the time zone of where you're heading.

As mentioned, going to Japan it's easier to do that since you leave the US in the morning/afternoon, eat, watch a movie and then fall asleep as if you're there in Japan. When you get there you should be able to adjust to the time pretty easily.

Yes, coming back is harder, but you can still accomplish that goal. When you get on the plane in Japan, try to go to sleep as early as possible. Then wake up for the last two to three hours of the flight and you'll be good to go on local time. Then you should be able to fall asleep at a normal time that night.

I know this doesn't help you now, but good advice whenever travelling through time zones, even within the US.