Tuesday, July 18, 2006

People are so weird

Saturday night we met a couple of Brian's childhood friends for a birthday party at the Crown & Anchor. This guy shows up, some friend of a friend of a friend, and, no lie, he looks just like a pirate. He had a head rag and this little skinny mustache that was curled up at the ends, and a pointy goatie.

The first thing I thought was, "Wow, he must've just gotten off of work at a show on the Strip or something." But then I asked him what the pirate thing was all about and he said it was on purpose, just cuz.

Wow. So, like, instead of cross-dressing, this guy gets his kicks by dressing up as a pirate. Just like the guy in Dodgeball. Is this a common thing? Is there a psychological diagnosis for this?

5 comments:

David said...

Yes. It's called FREAK.

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

aarrr Steeve the Pirate!

yournamehere said...

I think he dresses that way in lieu of developing an actual personality.

natasha said...

Was he actually dressed like a pirate in clothing as well? If so, then I've met that man at Crown & Anchor. We went there for lunch or drinks or something one day, and he was seated across the little seating area from us, sitting by himself. I fought the urge for a good portion of my time there, until I could take it no longer, marched my ass straight to his table, sat down, and was like, "So, hi. Would you mind if I asked you what's up with this?" He didn't. And I did. In the end, he truly enjoyed dressing like a pirate and felt it was who he really was.

And as much as I thought he was a freak, while sitting across the room from him, once I actually spoke to him, I saw that he was a very intelligent and genuine man.

Not that I actually learned anything from that experience.

Cladeedah said...

This guy was nice too. Freaks can be nice, you know? Did you catch your guy's name? I'm having trouble remembering our pirate's name. He was dressed pretty non-descriptly in dark clothes - the do rag and facial hair is what caught my attention. No doubt he was going for pirate look. It HAS to be the same guy.