Saturday, May 19, 2007

Turn it down!

I had my first real "I'm too old for this crap" moment last night. We went to this concert at the Joint. The lineup was The Bravery, They Might Be Giants, Plain White T's, Shiny Toy Guns, and the Silversun Pickups. We went for They Might be Giants and had no idea who these other bands were. Apparently, they're what's hot right now w/ all the Emo kids.

So there we were -- geeky 30-year-olds in a sea of Emo teenagers. We asked the hot girls in front of us how old they were and they told us 17 -- high school juniors. They came to see the Shiny Toy Guns for the second time. One of them had never heard of They Might Be Giants. God, that made me feel old.

I felt even older when I had to go to the back of the room because the loud music hurt my ears. (My head is still aching from the pain.) Standing there for three hours before TMBG came out also killed my back and my feet. I couldn't believe I had paid good money to be tortured that way. After TMBG's let-down 8-song performance, we were out of there. We missed the headliners, The Bravery, but didn't care. Who the hell are they anyway? It was a 1-hour traffic crunch out of the parking garage after the show. All in all, not worth it for an old fogie like me.

I've got a couple more concerts to go to this summer -- the True Colors Tour (Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, Erasure, Dresden Dolls) in June, the Violent Femmes in July, and Kelly Clarkson in September. I'll be bringing my ear plugs for-sure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, is this the same Claudia who went toe-to-toe with the Rage Against the Machine mosh pit? (to be fair, if i remember right security had to drag you out over the rail, so perhaps i shouldn't be so surprised)

Anonymous said...

You don't know them because Las Vegas radio sucks!!! I like them, but not as much as Muse.
- Yasmien (forgot my blogger password... it's been too long!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I realized I was getting older when my freaking back went out a couple of months ago. I was bent over for half a day. That truly sucked. And I too can not stand most emo bands. hehe

SweetSweet said...

Too bad your TMBG experience sucked. Neil and I just went to one of their concerts down here in SD - except they were the headliners. It was really good. Small venue and we got to hear songs from their new album (it gets released in June or July I think). They'll be down here again in about 6 months, maybe you and B can come down and visit then or something. And maybe we will actually be here to see you.