Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Everybody Get Drunk Tonight

Um, okay, so I'm just supposed to write about the stuff I do and the crap I think is interesting right? So, basically, this blog will probably end up being about wedding crap and interesting criminal law stuff. So here's a wedding update and a question:

We met with Father Bill from St. Viator yesterday. He was pretty cool - kind of a hippie-type priest. I guess he's going to give us some kind of compatability test soon. Brian and I are excited to see how wrong for each other the church thinks we are. ;-) Actually, it's supposed to foster communication or something, so it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Anyway, wedding date is still set for NOVEMBER 5, 2005.

So here's my question: What amount of alcohol is proper/expected for a wedding? Some people would say it's tacky to have open bar at a wedding. After all, it's not like it's a raging frat party where everyone's expected to get smashed. Others would think it was tacky not to offer an open bar. What about a table wine-only compromise? Just wondering what my target audience's expectations are.

11 comments:

Shannon said...

I think it's acceptable to have table wine and then a non-free cocktail bar.

Then again, I don't really know.

Kat said...

i agree with allison... also, open bars can be bad. the one pic my friend sent of me from her wedding....it's me holding up an empty shotglass. not good.

Shawna said...

I used to photograph weddings, so I have been to a few and I have seen it done both ways. I think you have nice respectable friends and an open bar would be fine. But, I also love the idea of having table wine. I did however, go to one wedding, where a few of the guests were STEALING the alcohol (at an open bar) and stashing it in their cars! Uh now that is tacky!

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

I that table wine would be nice, and maybe a time limit on the open bar, this way, people can drink other stuff if they are not wine drinkers, but you wont have a bunch of drunk people either...the wedding is about you guys, not about the guests throwing up in the bathroom....

Cladeedah said...

Oh yeah, and half of my family is Mexican and only drinks beer, not wine. I'm not sure if that factors into the equation or not.

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

well you also could have a limited amount as well...when your out...your out....

Kat said...

i am all about the corona and dos equis...maybe you could have centerpieces made from limes.

Anonymous said...

We had an open bar that closed when dinner started and then wine on the tables. Everyone got the booze they wanted before dinner, keep people from getting totally loaded and the cost was not out of hand.

David said...

I was going to suggest the same, but Leslie beat me to it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I also agree with Leslie. I hate wine... But I think a time limit on the bar would be cool. I can only handle being throwing up drunk at a wedding but lucky for me that is only 2-3 drinks.

Anonymous said...

You could have the cocktail hour with open or limited bar (like a theme drink, beer, and wine available) and then wine on the tables, and then for the party part another hour or so of the same limited bar.