Saturday, May 14, 2005

Ow my knee

We went to Crystal Palace Skating Center last night with my nephews. It was definitely a blast from the past. A good time was had by all. Tony (5) had never rollerskated before, but he's pretty fearless, so he did okay. Jesse (10) was much better, but Brian was definitely the star of the night.

Me? Well, I never really learned to roller skate, so I was quite a sight to see: 6'5", uncoordinated, on skates, inching along, gripping the wall. Not cute. I only fell once though - right on my bum knee. I hoped no one had noticed, but then all through the rest of the night the smart parents that were on the sidelines kept asking "How's your knee?" I must have been pretty interesting to watch, since appararently EVERYONE WAS WATCHING!!

Anyway, here's three pictures I got to take before my battery died.







There were components of the evening that were much the same as when we were kids: skate races, lemon heads candy, the slow-skate, packs of tweens. But there were also a few differences. For example, the chicken dance was replaced by freestyle dance-skating, which was crazy-awesome. I think the rollerblade technology takes the credit. These kids were AMAZING. Skate-dancing in sync, break-dancing/skating, doing back flips in unison. It was pretty bad ass, I must say.

In the words of Tori Amos: "All in all it was a pretty nice day."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last time I went roller-skating was a very log time ago. I was but a mere child. Not a merecat, but a mere child (dig a tunnel, dig dig a tunnel) Anyway, I think its cool that you go out and make a complete ass of yourself. I have trouble doing that myself.

Wurd.

Kat said...

i love rollerskating! i've been wanting to plan a skating night for some time.....