Monday, August 28, 2006

"I had a nightmare I was a blonde"

That was written on a t-shirt I saw at the mall today. I thought it was really funny. (Sorry Randi)

Then I had the blondest moment ever today while we were meeting with our loan officer. I had told him over the phone that my salary was a certain amount, and that I had just gotten a 3% cost of living increase, so I wasn't sure what my new annual salary worked out to be.

So at our meeting, I brought in my latest paycheck stub and we did the math and it turns out I actually make 26% more than I thought I was making. I think I actually squeeled when he told me what my gross annual income was. It was like finding a $20 bill in an old pair of jeans, only WAY better.

How the heck could I not have known this? Where the heck did this 26% increase come from? Did I get some raise I was unaware of? Is it some kind of mistake? Did my boss use the wrong salary table when he told me what my salary step was going to be? Is someone in HR screwing with me?

It was pretty obvious the loan officer thought I was a total idiot. Who doesn't calculate their hourly rate and then multiply it times the hours worked per year?? At the end of our meeting, he gave us a card for a financial planner and strongly suggested we start keeping better track of our finances. Now that we're going to be all grown up with a mortgage, I think I'm going to go ahead and follow that advice.

7 comments:

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

no offense taken. non-blondes are just jealous!

I never could understand the purpose of a financial planner/advisor.
First off, if you put together your own budget say on MS money, you will have a greater chance at keeping track of your finances and where the unnecessary spending is going. Then you actually have to pay this guy to tell you that you have tons of unnecessary spending. So wouldn't that be number one on unnecessary spending? Fire the financial planner. That might save you bundles right there.

Not knowing what you make is not that bad. I know what I make hourly because I am paid hourly. when I was paid a salary, I knew what I made every check, but not per hour. (I would have cried if I had figured it out)

I personally think a financial planner is a HUGE HUGE waste of money. Just get MS Money, set up a budget and download your bank statements. Its easy.

Anonymous said...

Umm with all this house stuff ;)When are you going to put the funny pictures of Shannon and her beau up from Nat's party?

Cladeedah said...

I don't know... when I get a free moment. Maybe next week. It's some good shi* though.

Shannon said...

I'm sure Brad will be offering you his services shortly.

Bradley said...

Im a little confused. Are you saying you just didnt know what kind of money you were making, or didnt know how big your raise really was?

At any rate, if you're buying a house you prolly should get "grown up" with your finances.

I also don't see much purpose for financial planners unless one is money incompetent.

-Brad

Cladeedah said...

I'm confused about why this last check was so big. Was it a raise or have I been making this much all along and just didn't realize it?

Shawna said...

or perhaps your mortgage broker DID calculate incorrectly? They want you to make more so you'll qualify for more...????