Monday, October 03, 2005

Movie Review: Serenity

Saturday a bunch of us went and saw Serenity, written and directed by Joss Whedon.

At the beginning, I thought the movie was really dumb. It transitioned awkwardly from serious, melodramatic science-fiction mystery to cheesy, sci-fi comedy. Once it got going though, and I reminded myself that it was 1) an outer-space cowboy movie, 2) made for sci-fi geeks, and 3) going for the Army of Darkness vibe, I really enjoyed it.

The outer-space fighting scenes were as good if not better than Star Wars. And the main character, River, kicked butt. I always love to see girls in movies kick butt. The "ultimate secret" that only River knew was a little bit of a let-down, I thought, but overall, I enjoyed watching this movie.

Final grade: B-

No comments: