Monday, September 19, 2005

Stupid eBay story..

This weekend was the Tori Amos concert in L.A. As many of you know, I had some trouble selling an extra set of tickets for the show. After I started a last minute 3-day auction on eBay to just get the tickets in the hands of another fan (bids started at $.99), Shawna told me that her friend Scott was interested in the tickets. Here's where the stupid moves on my part start. I'll have to number them, since there we so many:

Bad move #1 - We decide to have Shawna outbid the others.. she bids $20 and gives me her password in case I want to raise the bid. I don't go back and raise her bid to something that would guarantee her winning the tix, like $500.

Bad move #2 - I figured since no one bought the tix the first time, they wouldn't even go for $20, so I didn't worry about making sure someone watched the auction when it ended at 11am the day of the show. (I was at a class all day).

Result - So the auction ends and some chick wins them for $20.50. @%$*#!! More stupid moves made from here.. I email her and tell her she has to call me on my cell by 6:30pm to set up a place to meet and exchange the goods. At 6:32pm, I am like, sweet, she missed the deadline. Scott can have the tickets. Then my cell phone rings..

Bad move #3 - I answer.

Bad move #4 - I ask where she wants to meet at the venue. Instead of will call or the box office or something smart like that, the girl suggests we just call when we get there and meet up by cell phone. I dumbassedly agree.

Result - So we got the concert, which is in the hills, and none of us have a signal on our cell phones. Uh-oh. At one point, I did get a bar or service and called the girl, but before I could tell her where we were, the phone cut us off. I guess I could have stood around outside for longer and yelled that I was looking for the girl from eBay, but I felt like I had made reasonable efforts. So we went inside. Scott used one ticket and the other went to waste. We saw tons of people outside selling tickets for like $15, so I figured if the girl really wanted in, she could have gotten in for as much or cheaper than what she won my tickets for.

So yeah, I got a nasty email from the girl today. She was not a happy camper. So far no negative feedback, but I'm sure it's a'comin'.. :-(

6 comments:

barnesanova said...

she's more the idiot here in my opinion. if i bought something for any reasonably large amount of money, i'd sure as hell know and plan how to get my stuff. i'm more worried about being scammed by the sales person in general, so i would have looked to whatever was easiest for you to make sure i got my goods.

silly shawna. well, at least she didn't get a chance to mention how tall you are! :)

Shawna said...

Silly Shawna?

So Claudia...that was fun!

Did the girl ever mention if she did buy tickets from someone else?

barnesanova said...

ah, crap.. i'm sorry, i had a brainfart on the name. but eh, the point is, i think you're in the clear claudia.

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

you can comment back on the negative comments so people will know that your not a scammer...

Cladeedah said...

Shawna - the girl didn't say and she hasn't emailed me back yet. Her first email made it sound like she just stood outside and listened to the show from there. That would have been a super-stupid move on her part though, seeing as how there were a bunch of people selling in the parking lot.

Shannon said...

Yeah- she's an idiot.