Monday, January 08, 2007

Apparently, I suck

This was supposed to be my New Year's resolutions blogpost, but then, as I was making my list, I realized that this year's list is not at all different from last year's. So I'm just going to keep the same list and note my progress where applicable. Here's my scorecard one year later:

1. Stop talking on the cell phone on the drive home from work. (I actually did pretty good with this one. I talk on the phone maybe once every two weeks now.)
2. Make a budget and stick to it. (We didn't do so well here. With the cat getting sick, it was hard to stick to a budget. Christmas was a killer too. But this month we're hiring a financial planner, so hopefully I'll do better this year.)
3. Buy a house. (Does it count if we returned it during the opt-out period? No, for real. This year, HOUSE!)
4. Finish my estate administration duties. (I'm just going to hire someone. It's obvious I can't do this.)
5. Go to bed every night by 10:30. (Not doing so well with this one.)
6. Visit the gym at least three times a week. (So far, so good.)
7. Get to work at 7am, NOT 7:30. (This one may have actually gotten worse.)
8. Do something interesting and different with my hair this year. (I dyed it red at one point. The people at work freaked. Everyone else said it wasn't that different. I think this year I'll cut it or else get bangs.)
9. Clean out the garage. (25% done baby!)
10. Eat breakfast before work. (Ha.)
11. Get invisalign braces. (Maybe next year.)
12. Get the damn tooth implant that I've been too scared to get. (Got the referral today.)
13. Keep the dishes clean. (Doing a little better.)
14. Watch the Netflix I've had for over 6 months, or else just cancel the damn subscription. (Cancelled baby!)
15. Finish reading those stupid books (Gave up. Too many magazines, too little time.)
16. Stop blogging/playing on the internet at work. (Done!)
17. Watch less TV in order to get all of the above done. (Done, surprisingly.)
18. Have a notebook handy at all times and actually jot down good ideas and interesting dreams. (Done, but never used.)

4 comments:

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

now let me ask you this about the financial planner....you are paying someone on how to spend your money??? is that a bit...well...redundant???

dont do bangs you will hate them...i did it for like three days. then started pinning them back

i like your list tho :)

Shannon said...

May I recommend my hairstylist? She's great and specializes in curly hair.

Bradley said...

I recently sat with a couple financial advisors. Most are totally worthless and infact harmful by trying to take your money (certainly don't go with worldfinancial people). I did end up finding a good guy that gave me lots of money instead of taking my money, I hope to see 30% type of returns on my IRA but will be happy with 10%.

What is the purpose of your financial advisor need? I'd be happy to give my advice to you or give you the name of the guy im working with.

-Brad

Cladeedah said...

Randi/Brad - The goal is to retire as early as possible. Randi - We're not hiring them to tell us how to spend our money. They're helping us figure out the best way to plan/save/invest/defer taxes towards reaching our goal.

Maybe you read a book and taught yourself about this stuff or your parents taught you how to do it, but ours never did. I don't know the difference between a ROTH and an IRA, or why or how they would work out for someone like me, so I'm seeking guidance from professionals.