Thursday, June 02, 2005

My baby teefs

I certainly f-ed up the margins on that one, didn't I? Guess that's what happens when you're in a rush to post and don't modify your picture sizes. [[shrug]] oh well, I'll go back and fix it later. Sooo..... onto a story.

My dentist is a super nice guy, but he f-ed up my crown, so he offered to fix it for free, but I ended up having to go back in 3 times in a row and put up with excruciating novacaine shots and sanding and drilling and what-not. So now we're done with that tooth, and even-steven.

So today I went back for a new tooth - to a different doctor in the same office. They said they wanted $200 for a consultation on the implant for that tooth but assured me it'd go toward the total cost if I chose to have the implant done. So at first, I'm overcome by politeness and agree to pay the $200, but then I got really scared as I'm in the chair. Like, what if this new guy is just as bad as the last guy? Am I going to feel like a big dumbass for going back? Is this guy so bad that he has to lock in $200 in advance? Am I going to meet him and hate him? What am I locking myself into here?

So I took off my napkin and walked out. I felt like a huge jackass, but really, I just knew I'd kick myself later if I didn't look around first and make sure I wasn't getting screwed. So yeah, that's growing up, I guess. Throwing politeness and your paper bib out the window and refusing to accept the crap that's flung atcha.

9 comments:

Sweet Coalminer said...

Dude, QUESTION AUTHORITY.

That is soooooooo funny. I would have totally stolen the bib and put it on my refridgerator.

I hate dentists. I had to go this morning too, and she's such a fucking know-it-all about EVERYTHING. BITCH, shut. up. and fix my teeth!

Shannon said...

I can't stand dentists and am scared to death of them. I wish they'd stop lecturing me on flossing. Look I do it when I can, alright ass?

You did the right thing.
Bravo.

Kat said...

oh great now i am freaked out. my dentist appointment is monday morning.

Cladeedah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cladeedah said...

Dude, whatever, my dentist is a mormon in Green Valley and he's expensive. If that doesn't scream quality dental work, I don't know what does. I must just know how to pick 'em. My dentists are always such freaks. Speaking of which.. anyone know a good implant dentist??

BTW- love the anger at the dentists!

Anonymous said...

I know a dentist. In fact, we shared the womb together. I will be visiting her as soon as I call and make an appointment. Should I be worried she will exact revenge for all the childhood torture I put her through? hmmmmmmm

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

i love going to the dentist...seriously....however finding a good one and that takes my insurance is always the hard part....

sugafree9 said...

You know what, this post reminded me that my dentists called my house the other day "reminding" me I had a dentist's appointment. I hope I didn't forget about it. I better call and find out.

As far as enjoyment goes on a dental visit... I guess that I like the fact I'm keeping my gums healthy and shit. I've never had to have a root canal or caps or any of that shit though, so my opinion is biased. My worst experience at a dentist is doing that nasty floride treatment as a kid.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! I would have probably sat there for fear of being rude and then totally regretted it later.
You should see if you can go to the Dr. Kerry at the community college (on Charleston). I went there when I lived there and he's soooo nice and apparently he does great work because now every time I go to the dentist or to get my teeth cleaned they always comment on how great a job he did. No joke. It's kind of weird, really. And the hygenist I used to have there was so nice and gentle that I would fall asleep while she was cleaning my teeth. Sigh.