Thursday, June 09, 2005

My weekend in three parts - Saturday

I'm such a slacker. So like I was saying.. Saturday afternoon I joined Brad and Vanessa at Chuck E. Cheese's for Donovan's first birthday party. It was fun except for the part when Baby Donovan fell off the booth head-first onto the floor and everyone gasped and he was sad and cried for like twenty minutes. But then I just cuddled him and he was all good.

So the whole day I had really bad anxiety. I was positive that I was going to die in a horrible car accident that very day. It didn't help that I kept getting lost and confused on the stupid 95/Rainbow construction. I finally just had a mini-breakdown at dinner and got it out of my system. Not sure what my problem was. It was just an emotional day, I guess.

So after that Brian, his mom, his sister and me went to see
Cirque Du Soleil: Ka at the MGM. It was truly one of the the most magnificent things I have ever seen.

Have you ever looked up at a giant sky-scraper and felt so dwarfed and amazed and impressed by the capabilities of mankind? That's how I felt when I watched this show. It was so grand and precise and amazing.

It's kind of sad to say, but it sorta restored my faith in humanity. You know how it just seems nowadays that everyone is so half-assed about everything? Sometimes I feel like humanity has stopped evolving. Like there's nothing left for humans to do except die out. That sounds horrible, I know, but it's how I feel sometimes when I get bad customer service or when I see people half-ass really important tasks. So this show, which was unlike anything else I'd ever seen, was just so creative and so technologically advanced and employed such skilled performers.. it just made me happy that humans could still whip up something so unique and progressive and beautiful.

I won't go into too much detail about the show, but I will say this. The story isn't what makes the show great. It's a very cliched tale - a journey, an epic. It uses very cliched themes: air, water, fire, land. What makes this show different though is the special effects. It was like watching the latest blockbuster special effects movie, but live and in a theater, which just made it all the more amazing. The stage had a lot to do with the awesome effects. It was the true star of the show. That's all I'll say. If you get the chance to see it, I would definitely go.

3 comments:

Kat said...

i love the bootlegger bistro. they have only hot male waiters. oh, and those pics of donovan are adorable.

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

i have never eaten at the bootlegger, but i would really like to go. i also would really like to see ka....and the blue man group for that matter too....

Cladeedah said...

Blue man group is so fun! I've seen it twice!!